Tag Archive | “Gardening”

Defiers of winter ban beware – your garden walls may have ears.

Neighbours urged to dob in a sprinkler flouter

STAFF REPORTER

Householders across Perth, Mandurah and parts of the Southwest and Great Southern must turn their garden sprinklers off from June 1 – or risk being dobbed in by a nosy neighbour.

State water minister Mia Davies said it was now “even easier” to dob in a sprinkler ban flouter by hitting http://www.watercorporation.com.au/breach, and letting your fingers do the talking.

The winter sprinkler ban had been in place since 2010 and Ms Davies reckons the ban saved about 4.5 billion litres of drinking water last year alone.

”The winter sprinkler ban has been embraced by West [sic] Australians since its introduction, with recent Water Corporation research showing 81 per cent of people surveyed supported the ban,” Ms Davies said.

“… The sprinkler ban was introduced on the basis that gardens don’t need as much water during the cooler, wetter months.

“In our drying climate, it is important we work together to save water for when it is most needed.

“Please remember to switch off your sprinklers before June 1 so we can achieve significant water savings again this year.”

Ms Davies warned that breaching the winter sprinkler ban could result in a $100 fine.

Last winter, 1668 sprinkler flouters copped a warning and 244 were fined for using their sprinklers during the ban.

The winter sprinkler ban applies to both scheme and bore water users.

But hand watering is permitted and gardeners can apply for an exemption to establish new lawns.

In areas of Western Australia not subject to the ban, normal watering rosters and the daytime sprinkler ban still apply.

Posted in Perth newsComments (1)

Rugby ground worth of turf makes a comeback at project that was supposed to replace it.

Watch the grass grow at Elizabeth Quay

CHRIS THOMSON

Grass, once stigmatised by property developers as the bogey-plant of the Perth foreshore, is set to make a 9000 square metre comeback at Elizabeth Quay because the Barnett Government’s Esplanade Reserve privatisation plan has not yet materialised.

oneperth.com.au can reveal that 9295sqm of turf is about to be laid at Elizabeth Quay on big blocks of land that have not yet sold to skyscraper developers.

That’s about 1000sqm more grass than the surface of Perth Oval where the Western Force and Perth Glory strut their footballing stuff.

And the grass makes a farce of the Barnett government’s goal to rid the state heritage listed public park once known as The Esplanade Reserve of turf by concreting, excavating, flooding and privatising most of it.

With the 2.7 hectare Elizabeth Quay inlet due for completion by the end of this year, Lots 2, 3, 5 and 6 (pictured) are yet to be sold.

Lots 5 and 6 are under negotiation with Brookfield, and expressions of interest on lots 2 and 3 close on October 22.

The blocks will be returfed progressively from November 14 to mid January next year, to discourage the emergence of dust and tumbleweeds.

The Esplanade Reserve in its 2011 'hay day', a year before the earth movers rolled in.

The Esplanade Reserve in its 2011 ‘hay day’, a year before the earth movers rolled in.

A major rationale for obliterating The Esplanade Reserve was that the $2.6 billion Elizabeth Quay project would ‘activate’ the Perth foreshore in a way that an old-school public park purportedly could not.

But, back in May, oneperth.com.au revealed state officials did not expect Elizabeth Quay to be fully developed until at least 2030, which would have left big chunks of the project to languish for a decade and a half.

Prodded to action by the prompt oneperth.com.au coverage, Perth’s languid band of big media corporations belatedly picked up on the delays.

While acknowledging land sales had slowed in the city, The Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority backed down on its projection, and claimed a 10-year development plan was now achievable.

Now, state officials have revised their gloomy forecast in writing, assuring the public that skyscrapers will start rising where the turf is about to be laid by 2019.

The government says the blocks will be temporarily “activated” throughout the year with “events, leisure activities and markets”.

Note: Amendments made to original copy to reflect details of ongoing land sales.

Posted in Inner PerthComments (10)


Independent Perth news