Tag Archive | “Crime”

Dropkick party pests cause $10,000 damage.

Yangebup bus battered


A Transperth bus was trashed last night at Yangebup in Perth’s southern suburbs.

Police spokeswoman Susan Usher said that about 10:45pm a large group of youths leaving a party flagged down the bus heading to Cockburn train station on Yangebup Road.

Ms Usher said the youths filled the bus and several were standing in the aisle.

160424 Transperth bus editWhen the bus stopped at a red light at the intersection of North Lake Road and Osprey Drive, an unknown person activated the emergency door release, allowing some of the passengers to exit the bus.

As the bus proceeded through the intersection on the green light, a rock was thrown at the front of the bus causing the windscreen to shatter.

Ms Usher said that numerous youths then threw rocks at the bus causing youths inside the bus to kick at the windows and use the emergency hammers to smash nine of the bus’s windows.

All the youths fled and Ms Usher said she believed several of them received cuts to their hands from breaking glass.

The estimated repair cost is $10,000.

Police want anyone with relevant information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Posted in SouthComments (0)

36 cars each have at least two tyres slashed in urbane street overnight.

South Fremantle tyre attack


Thirty-six vehicles had at least two tyres each slashed last night in an urbane South Fremantle street.

Police spokeswoman Susan Usher said that between 8pm last night and and 6am this morning unknown people used a sharp implement to puncture vehicles’ tyres on Attfield Street.

Ms Usher said police were aware of 36 vehicles having two or more tyres damaged with an estimated minimum cost of $10,000.

Police want anyone with relevant information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Posted in FremantleComments (0)

Woman escapes in red, long-legged PJs.

Pharmacy hit by pyjama pants bandit


An Albany pharmacy was allegedly robbed by a woman in red, long-legged pyjama pants yesterday.

Police spokeswoman Susan Usher said that about 9:20am, a woman allegedly armed with a metal weapon entered a pharmacy located on Bayonet Head Road.

Ms Usher said the woman went to the shelving area behind the front counter, allegedly removing medication from the shop display.

She allegedly threatened staff with the weapon before running from the store with various medication.

She was last seen near the Oyster Harbour Store and Bayonet Head Road Shopping Centre.

The woman is described as being in her twenties, with an olive complexion and a slim build.

She was wearing red long legged pyjama pants and a grey hooded jumper.

Police want anyone with relevant information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Posted in WA NewsComments (0)

Gosnells radiographer dismisses concerns of woman whose underwear he pulled down without consent.

‘Why bother, I have seen it all anyways’


EXCLUSIVE: A Gosnells radiographer has been reprimanded, and banned from practice after admitting to pulling a woman’s pants down without consent and spreading her legs to expose her vagina.

A State Administrative Tribunal decision published last week reveals that in October 2014 Pei Ren Un, then a radiographer at Perth Radiological Clinic at 122-126 Stalker Road, either untied or reached under the robe of a female patient.

Before tribunal member Patricia Le Miere, Un admitted to pulling the patient’s underwear down without consent and, while she was on her back with her knees bent, pushing her knees apart, exposing her vagina.

Un admitted that in response to the patient trying to cover herself with the robe he said: “Why bother, I have seen it all anyways”, or words to that effect.

In November, 2014, Un’s employment at the clinic was terminated.

In May last year he was convicted of unlawful and indecent assault of the patient after pleading guilty at Armadale Magistrates Court.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community based order, and on December 1 his registration as a medical radiation practitioner lapsed.

He did not try to renew the registration, and has sought training and alternative employment in the computer technology and hospitality industries.

Ms Le Miere reprimanded Un for the sexual misconduct, disqualified him from applying for registration as a medical radiation practitioner for 18 months, and ordered that he pay the $1800 legal costs of the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia which brought the case to the tribunal.

Posted in EastComments (0)

Council contract goes awry.

Paraburdoo dump costs man $8000


A 56-year-old Tom Price man contracted by the Shire of Ashburton has been found guilty of illegally dumping up to 700 used tyres in Paraburdoo.

Tom Price Magistrates Court heard that during April 2013 the Shire of Ashburton contracted Heyden McKenzie’s business, Campdog Contracting and Earth Moving, to remove used tyres from refuse sites in Tom Price, Paraburdoo and Onslow.

McKenzie, who pleaded guilty, was paid by the shire to correctly dispose of the tyres to a licenced facility in Meekatharra.

However, McKenzie subcontracted another company and instructed it to dump the tyres on mine site land in Paraburdoo.

The dumped tyres were later removed by the shire.

The court ordered McKenzie to pay $8831 to the Shire of Ashburton to cover tyre removal costs.

Maximum penalties for illegal dumping are $62,500 for individuals and $125,000 for corporations.

Posted in WA NewsComments (0)

Gun-toting bushy gets cocky.

Bogan shoots endangered cockatoo


An endangered Baudin’s (black) cockatoo found injured in Bridgetown had been shot using a shotgun, according to the Department of Parks and Wildlife.

The pictured cockatoo was handed in to the department with pellet wounds, and received treatment at Manjimup Veterinary Clinic before being transferred to Perth Zoo.

The big, black bird is now recovering at the Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre.

Parks and Wildlife officer Brad Barton, the Chair of the Forest Black Cockatoo recovery team, said the department was investigating the shooting and seeking information from the public.

“It is disturbing when specially protected native animals are illegally shot,” Mr Barton said.

Baudin’s cockatoo is one of three species of black cockatoo in Western Australia’s Southwest. All three species are threatened and are protected under the state’s Wildlife Conservation Act and the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act.

There are penalties of up to $10,000 for shooting black cockatoos under the Wildlife Conservation Act, and up to $250,000 for an individual and $500,000 for a corporation under Commonwealth legislation.

Mr Barton said Baudin’s cockatoos fly around the Southwest as part of their seasonal migratory patterns and are often seen at this time of year in Manjimup, Donnybrook and Bridgetown foraging for food.

“Parks and Wildlife recognises that black cockatoos can cause damage to trees and is able to provide advice to assist in managing the impacts of these birds,” he said.

To report an injured cockatoo or provide information about illegal shootings, contact the Wildcare Helpline on 9474 9055 or the Parks and Wildlife Manjimup office on 9771 7988.

Posted in WA NewsComments (0)

$80,000 damage caused in suspicious circumstances last night.

Police probe Balga house fire


Police are investigating a fire they say ignited under suspicious circumstances and caused $80,000 damage at a house in Balga last night.

Police spokeswoman Ros Weatherall said her colleagues were called to the house, on Finchley Crescent, about 9.20pm.

Ms Weatherall said no one appeared to be home at the time of the fire.

She said the cost of damage was about $80,000.

Police want anyone with relevant information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Posted in NorthComments (0)

51-year-old home owner charged with criminal damage and fraud.

Insurance job alleged over Pally house fire


A 51-year-old Bicton woman has been charged with criminal damage and attempted fraud after an alleged insurance job caused $350,000 damage to her house in Palmyra.

Palmyra on Sunday 15 November 2015.

Police spokeswoman Susan Usher said that about 11:55am on November 15 fire fighters were called to the house on Weld Road.

The fire was deemed suspicious and Arson Squad detectives started investigating.

Ms Usher said the woman, who co-owns the house, allegedly set fire to items in a bedroom before leaving at about 11:30am.

Police also allege the woman put a claim into her insurance company for the estimated fire damage of $350,000 and $10,000 for temporary accommodation.

The woman has been charged with criminal damage by fire, and attempted fraud.

She is due to appear in Fremantle Magistrates Court on February 10.

Photo: freefoto.com

Posted in SouthComments (0)

... 'before driving into a brick wall'.

‘Stolen Holden’ stops at carwash


An allegedly stolen Commodore stopped at a Morley carwash yesterday before allegedly running two cars off the road and being driven into a brick wall.

Police spokesman Samuel Dinnison said that about 4:45pm police received information about an alleged burglary at a house in Light Street, Dianella.

Mr Dinnison said a blue Holden Commodore was allegedly stolen from the house.

About 6:50pm detectives saw the Commodore leave a car wash on the corner of Walter Road East and Beechboro Road North in Morley.

An attempt was made to stop the car, but police allege the driver failed to stop.

Mr Dinnison said that on Morley Drive the driver allegedly tried to motor between two vehicles that were driving side by side. There wasn’t enough room and both vehicles were allegedly struck.

The crash caused one of the vehicles, a Toyota Rav4, to hit the front porch of a house.

The house and Rav4 were damaged, but the driver and passenger were not injured.

The second vehicle, a Toyota Yaris, came to a stop on the median island. The Yaris driver was not injured.

Mr Dinnison said the Commodore hit a brick wall at another house, and two vehicles parked nearby were damaged by the resulting debris.

The driver of the Commodore allegedly tried to run from the scene, but he was unable to jump a fence as he had a broken arm.

He was arrested, and an ambulance was called.

The driver was taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

Several items linked to the burglary were allegedly found in the driver’s possession.

A 19-year-old Ballajura man has been charged with:

–          ‘burglary and commit’;

–          stealing;

–          ‘gains benefit by fraud’;

–          ‘endanger life, health or safety of any person’;

–          two counts of failing to stop;

–          two counts of reckless driving;

–          failing to stop after property damage; and

–          two counts of ‘no authority to drive’.

He was refused bail and is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court today.

Because the man is in hospital, Mr Dinnison expects the court appearance will be via a bedside hearing.

Posted in NorthComments (0)

Victim's head hits brick pavement.

Man charged over Murray Street bar attack


A man has been charged over an alleged attack on a patron at a Murray Street bar this morning in which the victim’s head hit a brick pavement.

Police spokesman Samuel Dinnison said that about 12:20am a man, 23, was with friends walking through the courtyard section of the bar.

Mr Dinnison said another man bumped into the 23-year-old who continued on with his friends.

The second man allegedly punched the 23-year-old to the back of his head causing him to lose consciousness.

The victim fell to the ground hitting his head on a table, and then the brick pavement.

He remained unconscious for a considerable amount of time.

He was taken to Royal Perth Hospital where he is being treated for head/facial injuries.

Other patrons of the bar chased after the alleged attacker, and with the help of bouncers detained him until police arrived.

A Nollamara man, 21, has been charged with grievous bodily harm.

He was refused bail and is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court (Northbridge sitting) today.

Posted in Bar & Cafe NewsComments (0)

Driver of small vehicle charged after alleged road rage attack.

‘Suzuki Swift driver strikes 4WD’


The 23-year-old driver of a compact Suzuki Swift has been charged after an alleged road rage attack on a big ole four wheel drive.

Police spokesman Samuel Dennison said that about 12:40pm on January 12 the occupants of a four wheel drive were travelling north on Old Cost Road / Mandurah Road.

Mr Dinnison said that at the intersection of Leslie Street and Mandurah Road the occupant of a black Suzuki Swift hatch exited his car and stepped to the four wheel drive in an aggressive manner.

Mr Dinnison said the man allegedly struck the four wheel drive a number of times and damaged the vehicle.

Video of the alleged attack was provided to the police force and a person of interest identified.

A man, 23, has been charged with having no authority to drive, careless driving, and criminal damage.

He is due to appear in Mandurah Magistrates Court on February 9.

Posted in SouthComments (0)

Police seek witnesses.

‘Pepper sprayer’ chased off with baseball bat


A householder sprayed with pepper spray yesterday marshalled up the gumption to chase the alleged sprayer off with a baseball bat.

Police spokeswoman Susan Usher said that about 3:10am two men allegedly entered a house on Jollup Way in the Mandurah suburb of Ravenswood armed with a screwdriver and pepper spray.

The householders were allegedly threatened and sprayed with the pepper spray.

Ms Usher said the men allegedly demanded cash.

One of the victims used a baseball bat to chase the men from the house.

The mewere last seen running on Jollup Way toward Holloway Turn.

The first man is described as olive skinned, between 180 and 185cm tall and of heavy build. He was wearing a hooded jumper and a mask.

The second man is described as dark-skinned, between 170 and 185cm tall and of skinny build. He was wearing blue or black shorts, a blue or green hoody and blue shoes.

Detectives have asked local residents to review their CCTV cameras for any vehicle or pedestrian movement between 2:00am and 4:00am.

Anyone with relevant  information can call Crime Stoppers on 1800333 000.

Posted in SouthComments (0)

Festive season was kind to head severer, and fatal fire starter.

Hotel murderers get Christmas Eve parole


EXCLUSIVE: The festive season was kind to one man who wilfully committed murder at a Perth hotel, and another who set fire to accommodation at a Toodyay hotel killing a fellow guest, with both men granted parole on Christmas Eve.

The first of two men to be granted parole on Christmas eve, Kurt Seel, was in 1995 convicted of life imprisonment for wilful murder after severing with a knife the major muscles that held a man’s head to his body.


In November 1994, Seel attended the Kings Hotel in Hay Street, Perth, to meet his co-offender and his soon-to-be victim to discuss a business proposition. Seel and his co-offender decided the deal would not go ahead and left the hotel.

Seel returned to collect his co-offender’s sunglasses and decided to kill the victim.

A written decision published by the Prisoners Review Board says that Seel stabbed the man in the chest, piercing his breastbone and completely severing his aorta.

The man fled, and Seel pursued him. Seel used the knife to slice across the victim’s throat, severing the trachea and jugular vein.

Seel also severed the major muscles that held the man’s head onto his body.

The man fell to the ground and died very quickly.

Senior psychologist Sarah Ballantyne advised the Board that Seel presented a low risk of future violence. She recommended no further clinical interventions for him.

Seel’s last prison charge was 17 years ago, for insubordination.

Before his release on December 30, he was employed in the education area of Bunbury Regional Prison, helping a manager with filing, book keeping and prisoner liaison. The manager described him as regularly handling highly confidential information and having earned the trust of staff and prisoners.

While in prison, Seel completed Bachelor of Arts (psychology-criminology) and Master of Social Science (criminology) degrees.

Now he is a free man, he proposes to work, although no employment had been arranged as of Christmas Eve.

He plans to initially live with his parents, with whom he has been in regular contact since imprisoned.

Having regard to “his serious previous criminal history, the brutal nature of the wilful murder offence and the absence of the capacity for him to undergo a re-socialisation programme” the Board viewed a parole term of five years appropriate.


Also walking free from prison on December 30 was Douglas Birks, who in May 2005 was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum non parole period of eight years.

In November 2003, after the bar at Toodyay’s Victoria Hotel closed, Birks, who had been drinking there, started a fire that destroyed the accommodation units, where he had been staying, and killed one person.

A written decision by the Prisoners Review Board says Birks’ community corrections officer considered that Birks now accepted responsibility for starting the fire and appeared “very remorseful”.

Birks, who at the time of the murder was a water truck driver completing road works, has secured full time work as a tow truck driver.

The decision to release him on a three-year term of parole was also granted on Christmas Eve.

Posted in WA NewsComments (0)

26-year-old stood down from duties after Northbridge and Mitchell Freeway incidents.

Cop charged with stealing, criminal damage


A police officer has been stood down after being charged with aggravated assault, stealing with violence and criminal damage in Northbridge and Osborne Park in December.

Police spokeswoman Ros Weatherall said the male constable of the cops’ central metropolitan regional office had allegedly committed the offences while off duty.

Ms Weatherall said the offences allegedly occurred in Northbridge and on the Mitchell Freeway in Osborne Park on the evening of December 18.

The officer has been charged with criminal damage, two counts of unlawful common assault, committing an act likely to cause harm or injury, attempted stealing with violence, three counts of aggravated common assault, and assaulting a public officer.

The officer was charged on January 6 and will appear in Perth Magistrates Court on January 27.

Ms Weatherall said the officer has been stood down from all duties.

Posted in Inner PerthComments (0)

Independent Perth news